Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I'm here!


I’m in Liberia! Sorry for delay in blogs.  After being on the plane for 19 hours, we landed in Ghana, not Liberia, because the fog level was high and the plane couldn’t land.   People always say to pack essential in your carry on just in case.  Well, my carry on included no clean clothes or any of the things I needed for the night, but it did include 7 airplane bottles, pretzel m&m’s, my pet pal Jezebel, and luckily my toothbrush.  So I suppose I actually did have the essentials with me…
            We left the next morning and made it to Monrovia. My new friend Ansu picked me up from the airport.  He waited for me at the airport for about 6 hours the day before and then came back to get me and waited another 5 hours because of all the delays. He is a good friend for sure.
            Getting my luggage from baggage claim was one of the craziest things I have ever experienced. It was pure madness. There were about 250 people crammed into a hot room not much bigger than my living room, all trying to get to luggage belt thing, and for some reason everyone felt the need to be screaming. I got lucky and squeezed my way to the front pretty quickly because some guy saw my Jesus tattoo and let me through. 
            It was about a 2 hour drive from the airport to Ricks. I took a quick tour of the campus and then went to bed.  I got up Sunday for church at the school, which was mostly student led, so it was cute. Then I went back to bed for almost the entire day. 
            Yesterday I met my classes and all the teachers but today was my first day of actually teaching. I am teaching Language Arts to 4th, 5th, and two classes of 6th. I didn’t get a whole lot out about comparing adjectives or types of verb phrases because they just wanted me to talk.  I was in 4 separate classes today but they seemed to all have the same questions.  Is your mother alive? What is her name? Do you have a father? What is his name? What do they do? What are your brother’s names? How old are they? What do they do? Do you have a best friend? What is her name? Why do you play soccer? What is your favorite color? Do you have children? Are you married? Why not?
            I am going to start teaching the girls how to play soccer tomorrow after school.  They are super excited and the boys just keep laughing. We will show them.  I’m off to the beach for the first time. Pictures are coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! You girls will show them. I bet the kids adore you. So glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The airport sounds like my worst nightmare, but I guess, for the first time, I'm glad you have that tattoo . . .you were right:) How wonderful that you've already found such a great friend . . . I'm not sure I would wait 5 hours for anyone (well, except you, of course)! I love to hear about how the kids are so interested in hearing about you and your family . . . kind of sad that they wondered if we were alive. I'm looking forward to hearing more and seeing more pictures!Let me know when/if you still want to do a project with your 6th graders and the 6th graders at my school.
    Love you! Mom
    PS - Just wait until your girls "take out" some of those boys during a game . . . something that you excelled at!! The boys won't be laughing then:)

    ReplyDelete