Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Brittany's blog

On Sunday June 17th I was honored to be the special guest speaker at the Comfort K. Toe Institute Orphanage graduation ceremony. I can't say for sure that my inspirational words were understood by many, but the audience seemed to appreciate them regardless.  The best part of the program was the look on Brittany's face when they called her up to give out the diplomas without any previous warning or preparation.  She also was asked to give an impromptu speech. I love Africa. 

-Kasey 




This is right after graduation with the school principal, administrator, one of the orphanage managers, and Keva, the little girl who refused to get out of the picture. 


Passing out diplomas.



Hi everyone!  I am officially joining Kasey's blog instead of having my own due to the lack of internet and time.  Kasey did really well at the graduation!  Her speech was wonderful and everyone really appreciated her.  I on the other had looked like a deer in headlights when, during the ceremony, it was announced that I would be the honorary diploma-hander-outer (not in those words exactly). I was so awkward. I didn't know where to stand, which hand shakes and which hand holds the diploma.  It would have been a fiasco in America, but Africa's much more go-with-the-flow.  Everything has been going really well here.  So far I've left the blogging to Kasey to catch everyone up, but I just wanted to say hello to everyone who's following us!  Along with teaching, fixing computers, and other things, I've been checking stuff off my list of "Things To Do In Africa."  For example:
✔Get my hair done like an African woman
✔Explore the streets of the Liberian Marketplace
✔Survive exploring the streets of the Liberian Marketplace
✔Sport a tailored African dress at the graduation ceremony
✔Make tons of new friends
✔Bring "The Wobble" to Africa
✔Eat mango soup

A few things still to be completed on my list:
__  Adopt 7 african children
__ Find a home for triplet baby orphans (their mother died after childbirth...any takers?...seriously)
__ End poverty

Thank you all for your continued support!

-Brittany

Getting my hair done by Ms. Jestina Bombo.  It took 2 days and a total of about 7 hours.

Kasey and I with one of our favorites-Austin.  He's begging us to take him back to the states with us, as are a handful of others.  He has proclaimed himself as "Brittany's boyfriend" and is ready for marriage as soon as I say the word.  He's smooth.

A beautiful African sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment